Saturday, December 01, 2012

Annapurna Trek to Support Children with Disabilities was a Smashing Success!

Earlier this year I was asked by a few philanthropic friends if I would be interested in developing and leading a fundraising trek in Nepal.  Nepal has always held a special place in my heart ever since my first visit back in 2000 so of course I jumped at the opportunity to return to this magical place and support a great cause.  The goal would be to raise $15,000 to help support The Rose International Fund for Children (TRIFC), a local Bellevue non-profit that provides support in the areas of education, medical needs, nutrition, and facilities and environment improvements for children living with disabilities. TRIFC is also working to raise awareness of the living conditions of these children and to hopefully change how a disability is perceived in Nepal.  To have a disability in Nepal is to be shunned by others for having committed a past life sin.  TRIFC is dedicated to providing opportunity to those who would otherwise be helpless.

The trek was to be a 10-day trek through remote mountain villages to Annapurna Base Camp (elevation 13,550 ft).  We would also visit some of the project sites that TRIFC supports and do a little cultural sightseeing as well.  It was months of planning, organizing, fundraising and getting our group physically and mentally ready for the challenging 10 days on the trail.

All the hard work paid off though and I'm happy to declare TRIFC's first fundraising trek to be a smashing success!  We had fewer people that we were originally anticipated, but our small but mighty trekking group made up for that with our enthusiasm and large hearts!  Together we raised over $15,000 for TRIFC and we all successfully completed the trek with no major illnesses or injuries!  Yay!!

It was quite an incredible experience, both the trek and spending time with these amazing children living with disabilities.  I think we all learned a lot about ourselves and each returned home a slightly changed person.

These kids continue to show me and remind me just how incredible the human spirit can be if given the opportunity to thrive.  I'm so happy we were able to make a small difference in their lives and hopefully in other children's lives as well as the programs are able to expand and provide more support.

Rockwell Realty was a great support as well, helping out with fundraising efforts and supporting my business while I was "off the grid" for nearly 3 weeks! Thank you to the Rockwell "family"!

I will be continuing my involvement with TRIFC and the fundraising trek program so if anyone is interested in a physically, mentally & spiritually challenging travel experience in Nepal that will forever change you, just let me know!  I can't recommend it enough!  :)

Namaste!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment